Monday, January 10, 2011

I yam what I yam


Very recently I went to a palmist in Goa, who told me the supposed path of my future. There was the usual, married at 26, two to three kids, overall happy life. However, he said that I would be a doctor. He said I contained the mark of a healer, and that I will, with no doubt become a doctor. But, what if I don’t want to be a doctor? This here is the existentialist dilemma. Sartre explains the existentialist point of view in his essay Existentialism is a Humanism, being that man makes himself. Everything that man is or does should be without influence of society, and therefore his ultimate situation is solely his responsibility. Personally I have difficulty grabbing the existentialist concepts, being a somewhat religious and spiritual person. The notion that the cycle of human life is eternally pointless, and only with realization of this will we reach bliss, seems to be rather abstract.

Sartre talks about how it is not the pessimism of existentialism that annoys people, but the optimism. It does not make sense for one to find bliss in the realization of life being pointless. In certain aspects one can argue that it forces one to focus more on the present, more on the individual, for every new day merely brings us closer to death. From here comes the famous statement ‘Live every day like its your last”.  The optimism of existentialism is evident, for it promotes one to work harder for it elaborates on how there are no designated ‘roles’ in society. Man is whatever he intends to be, existence precedes essence. The ideas that man holds the power of his destiny is definitely optimistic, for it removes all oppression deemed by society and religion.

I disagree however, with Sartre’s statement that man is eternally responsible for his ultimate essence. There are definite optimistic characteristics of the notion that existence precedes essence; however, I feel that each human has a certain programming which they are unable to control. For example, one cannot blame a man for being what he is if he has a mental disorder. Likewise, I feel that other such disorders are engrained into one’s essence, therefore in some situations I feel that essence does precede existence. There are also such situations where the individual is incapable of determining their own fate , given the situation they are in. It is a comforting thought to believe that anyone can achieve anything, but I feel that this is not being realistic, and there will always be restrictions on every man’s freedom.

Another idealism of existentialism that I disagree with is the concept, as Sartre states, that each man is an example of the universal concept of man. As he states ‘In fashioning myself, I fashion man’.  I feel that this is a bit self-involved, for I do not see how the actions of one can affect mankind as a whole. In all honesty, I feel that existentialists should stop focusing so much on themselves and realize there is a lot more to humanity than selfish desires and aspirations. All in all, I appreciate the optimism and motivation provided by existentialist views; however, I feel that there is a certain nature present in all humans, which one cannot deny, and therefore the concept of existence preceding essence seems a bit self-involved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment